Pages

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

How is technology, social media, gaming, multimedia transforming education?

I may not be aware of how technology is transforming education on a global level, but as the instructor of three online science classes I feel particularly challenged in giving my students the information they need utilizing the multiple technological applications available. I know I’m in a game of catch-up as my students are the ones who are texting, instant messaging, and who knows what else. I, on the other hand, am still struggling to remain true to my curriculum and ensure that everything I’m supposed to cover is not only covered but presented in such a way that it is easily understood, remembered, and as fun as science can be for those truly uninterested in the subject.

My online classes are beautiful for visual learners, if only because that is my learning style. I’ve transformed every PowerPoint presentation into a visual feast, given numerous links to animations demonstrating specific processes, and created illustrative study guides.

In some attempt to reach all my students I’ve asked specific questions in exit evaluations on how I might improve the online classroom. A vocal minority responded they needed to “hear” my lectures. So I spent an entire quarter recording them – repeatedly, so as to leave out all the “uh’s.” It took almost another quarter to attach them to the existing PowerPoint presentations via Camtasia after it was discovered I’d been told the wrong procedure for recording them. After all the work the bonus was my students congratulating me for having downloadable lectures to their iPods! Surprise, surprise…here I thought I was just attaching sound to a PowerPoint. I had no idea I was saving them in iPod format! Were the gods with me, or what?

The problem is that after offering that in my beginning online class, my students now expect all my online classes to have iPod lectures. So here I sit, feeling like I not only have to catch up and learn the technology and how other educators use it, but also catch up with myself for giving students what they now expect from me. What a web! I’m feeling like my students are in the driver’s seat instead of me.

The one positive thing that stands out for me from my online classes is that I’ve had students from New York, Hawaii, and South Korea. This dissolution of distance in learning is phenomenal and instills in me a beautiful sense that this is what education is truly about. And students’ continual response that their being allowed to study on their own timeline appears to be another big plus for those supporting families and still desiring an education.

This quarter I’m dealing with a Final that must be proctored. How this will be set up for students who do not live near the college is my current technology learning experience. Wish me luck as my dean is insisting the entire department go to online proctored exams, making my class the guinea pig for all concerned!

2 comments:

  1. The challenge of your "proctoring" on-line is an interesting one and will be interested to know what is decided. I teach on-line math and have often found my students have had another take a test for them. This comes out when I work with them one-on-one and ask them a question that they had on the test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, that is the same conclusion we are coming to when a student seems to be able to do little writing assignments but can't provide a major term paper at the end of the quarter.

    We also heard that Kane Hall at the UW was where several hundred students showed up to take an exam. When it was explained they would have to show photo ID when they handed in their exam, half the class got up and left without taking it! This makes me wonder if students place any value on education as opposed to just getting a degree to further their career goals.

    ReplyDelete